7 Tips to Get Your Yard Summer Ready
It’s the time of year to refresh your Greater Vancouver yard and prepare for it to come alive with all the beauty of spring. Here are seven tips to help you create a yard that will be the envy of your neighbors and that you can enjoy through the summer and fall months.
- Planning your yard and outdoor space upgrades can help you ensure you produce the best possible result, utilizing your budget, time and space to their full potential.
- Even minor changes, when well thought out, have the potential to make dramatic a difference in your home’s appearance and yard’s usefulness.
- Start with a general clean up: clean up garbage and debris that may have accumulated, clear away dead annuals, prune perennials & trees as needed and wash the outside of your house
- In the front yard, the use of high-colour plants and adding attractive stonework, outdoor décor or glass / stainless railing add visual interest. When considering plants, if you prefer a low maintenance yard stay away from plants, trees & shrubs that have heavy leaf waste.
- For back yards, identify how you want to use the space and then design based on those ideas. Outdoor entertaining is quite popular and you can create an outdoor living space for BBQ’s, socializing and star gazing. Decks and new railing can enhance the aesthetic of your backyard space, while adding value and safety to your home.
- For existing outdoor decking and railing, this is the time to check for structural soundness and identify any required maintenance. Regular maintenance will ensure years of good use from your deck, so repair and re-paint/stain as needed. Waterproofing your sundeck will also enhance the appearance and extend the longevity of your deck.
- Spring is the time to prep your lawn for summer success. Three simple steps will help ensure a green yard throughout the season: Rake, Aerate and Fertilize.
So start planning now, take it a step at a time and before you know it you will be enjoying the summer months in your new yard.